How to Adjust your Derailleur Properly
One of the biggest problems with almost every bike rider is the unadjusted derailleurs. Derailleur is a part of bike that is present at the back and front of the drive chain where it derails that chain into the suitable place. This is something a beginner or an uneducated person cannot tackle. They definitely need to get some assistance or take it to an expert.
However, if you are stuck in this problem and want to get it done by yourself, then here is a brief guide for you.
- First of all, you have to unscrew the cables in order to detach the derailleurs. Bring the bike’s shifters to the dead spot and then pull the cable in order to carefully screw to the original place.
- Now turn the pedals so as to enable chain to come at rest and gear from the outer part of the wheel.
- You will find two screws on each derailleur: one for adjusting the last gear H and second to adjust L (the first gear). You have to adjust those screws by rotating your equipment in clockwise direction to tighten the derailleur and counter-clockwise to loosen it.
- Be careful while screwing the rear derailleur as chances are there that you end up with chain coming in between the frame and the wheel.
- So now, your derailleurs have been properly adjusted at their required position gears. Attach the cable without having any slack in it.
- Once assembled, turn the pedals and go to the first gear for rear derailleurs. The bike must go into the second available gear for sure.
- After success, come to screwing the adjustment screws of cable housing. Turn the pedals and unscrew it. Uninstall it and pedal until chain goes to the next gear available.
- Next, shift until the bike notifies you that cable has been pulled to the first gear.
It might sound a bit difficult but let me tell you that it is just a matter of couple of sessions. After some practice, you will grab the technique and work just like a pro. You can apply these steps on almost every bike until it meets your expertise. However, if you have bikes that have three or five speeds having regular friction shifters, then this is the point you have to think a lot. You have to use your knowledge and guess the place where gear is going.