Dahon IOS S9 Folding Bike Review - When Riding Quality is not Compromised ...
The Dahon IOS S9 Orange and Black (2013 model) folding bike is an eye catching sight as it runs on the road. With its black, orange and gold anodized trimmings this folding bicycle has a lot to offer.
Want to race uphill with riding buddies? This bike can go the extra mile whether quickly breezing through downhill or taking a climb uphill. Dahon IOS S9 has a mechanical disc break that allows this bike to screech to a halting stop. Having problems with limited storage? Dahon Flat Pak technology allows the bike to fold flat without a hitch. Change into a different riding position depending on the road conditions being traversed. The IOS S9 has big wheels allow riders in experiencing a sleek ride while at the same time enjoy storing the bike afterwards into a small size fold. IOS S9 is definitely a top of the line folding bicycle that fits every commuting needs. For weekend riders, fold and stow this bicycle away on the car compartment. Take it out when there is a need for a short morning or evening exercise to make those muscles of the body work and tone.
Features and Specs
Here are Dahon IOS S9 Key Features and Specs:
- Predominantly black with orange.
- Wheel size: 24 inches.
- Folded Dimensions: 15.5″ x 34″ x 30″ (39.4 x 86.4 x 76.2 cm)
- Weight: 28.6 lbs (12.97 kg)
- 9 speeds with DAHON Super Compact Neos 9 rear derailleur.
- Frame: Hydroformed Dalloy Aluminum wit Forged Lattice Hinge
- Biologic Post Pump which helpfully merges pump into the seatpost
- Brakes: Winzip Mech Disc,160/160 Rotors
- Brake levers: Avid BL FR5
- Handlepost: Forged Alloy Radius Telescope with Fusion and Flatpak Technology
- Tires: Schwalbe Kojak 24″ x 1.5″
- Front hub: DAHON Disc 100 mm, 32 Hole
- Rear hub: DAHON Disc 135 mm, 32 Hole
- Suggested Rider Height: 4’8″-6’5″ (142-195 cm)
- Recommended Rider Weight: less than 230 lbs (105 kg)
- Shipping weight: 38 lbs
- Box dimensions: 17″ x 34″ x 29″
Folding and Unfolding
- Folds as fast as less than a minute without a need to lift the bike.
- Quite lightweight for a big-wheel folding bike.
- Easy to adjust handle post
- With luggage socket allows the attachment to hold various bags and baskets not just from Dahon, but from other bicycle brands as well.
- The bigger wheel size of 24″ provides better speed and comfort.
- The frame is very durable and can accommodate up to 230 lbs weight.
- Slight issue on the bicycle chain because of constant wear and tear; this is due to constant riding that can take a toll on the bike resulting to the chain’s worn out teeth.
- Folding/Unfolding mechanism is not really smooth.
- The brakes need some adjustments out of the box.
- Fenders are not included in the package.
- Disc brakes are not advisable for global bicycle riders since replacements are expensive and not readily available in many countries.
For riding comfort a rider should know which brake to choose. It all boils down to several determining factors. Consider the weight and riding style of the rider. In summer, it is easy to be confident using disc brakes, but not so during the cold winter months. This bike has front and rear disc brakes to help bikers arrive towards their chosen destination. This bicycle is a good companion especially for those who are on their way to attend their classes or want to get to work on time. Don’t miss the chance of riding a smart looking bicycle as Dahon IOS S9. This bike conveniently combines the comfort of modern living with a traditional sleek design. Dahon has more than 25 years of experience as far as producing and inventing new bicycles. What more can one ask for?