Durban Metro Folding Bike Review - Folding Bike 20
The Durban Metro is a snappy looking bike. It nods to the stylized commuter bikes but on larger 20″ wheels. This 6 speed bike is great for kicking it around town and looking hip while you do it.
- Colors: Dark Blue, White, Wine
- Weight: 29 lbs (13kg)
- Folded dimensions: 6″ x 13″ x 31″ (66 x 33 x 80cm)
- Frame: 6061 Alloy Frame with Durban B-Type Latch
- Fork: High-Tensile Steel Fork
- Speeds: 6
- Wheels: 20″ Alloy Rims / 20×1.5 Tires / UCP Spokes
- Handlepost: Durban B-Type Steel Handlepost with Security Lock
- Saddle: Durban Comfort Saddle
- Seatpost: Alloy Seatpost (Size 550mm)
- Chain: KMC Chain
- Crankset: 52T Steel Crankset
- Brakes: Alloy V-Brake
- Brake levers: Alloy Brake Lever
- Shifter: Shimano RS-35
- Derailleur: Shimano TZ-50 (6 Speed)
- Freewheel: Shimano 14-28T Freewheel
- Pedals: Folding Pedals with Reflectors
- Kickstand: Steel Kickstand
- Mudguards: 20″ Wheel Steel Mudguard
- Maximum rider weight: 210 lbs (95 kg)
- Suggested rider height: 4’8″ – 6’3″ (1.40 – 1.90 m)
The Durban Metro has a great look. It is really aesthetically pleasing and has the ability to attract attention – be prepared to get noticed. First impressions aside, the Metro is very similar to the Durban Bay 6 we already reviewed. It is a 6 speed bike with the same Shimano shifter and derailleur and 20″ wheels. It even comes equipped with the same B-Type latch which is difficult to clasp.
The biggest difference is in the frame. The Durban Metro traded out the steel frame for a lighter 6061 Alloy Frame. Weighing 3 pounds lighter than the Bay 6, the Metro is still, unfortunately, on the heavy end of commuter bikes. While both bikes are equal in quality and capability. The Metro is definitely the better looking and lighter bike out of the two.
I recommend this bike to casual riders with a space issue rather than a full time commuter. There are lighter, easier bikes that fold better and can make commuting a breeze. This bike isn’t one of them.
- 20″ Wheels
- B-Type Latch
- Heavy for a commuter bike