Dahon Mu Uno Folding Bike Review - How Simplicity makes the difference?
Not long ago, we had a chance to review the Dahon Speed Uno and that is one of the best folding bikes we have ever tried. Many consumers are considering it as the best choice but probably they haven’t known there is an advanced version named Dahon Mu Uno.
Features and Specs
- Color: Shadow.
- Speed: 1
- 57-inch gear.
- Folding time: 10 seconds.
- Folded size: 10.2″ × 30.7″ × 25.9″ (26 × 78 × 66 cm).
- Weight: 22 lbs (9.9 kg)
- Fit people with heights of 4’8″ – 6’4″ and weight of less than 230 lbs.
- Front-brake included.
- Rear coaster brake by Shimano.
- Sturdy PA Series, 7005 butted aluminum alloy frame.
- High-quality V-Clamp quick-release frame hinge.
- Schwalbe Marathon Racer tires.
- Adjustable radius V Comfort Handlepost.
- 34 x 580 mm seatpost.
- Dahon use the BioLogic PostPump+ seatpost which integrates a pump inside the seatpost. (watch this video to see how the seat pump works)
- FSA 6061 crank set.
- Carton Dimensions: 33″ x 12″ x 25.6″ (84cm x 31cm x 65cm)
- Shipping weight: 32 lbs.
The Mu Uno is more expensive than the Speed Uno but it’s worth every penny. It is 2 pounds lighter than the Speed Uno and I’m pretty sure you will love it at first sight. Dahon still keeps the minimal design for the Mu Uno and moreover, the folding bike looks more gorgeous with beautiful curves and a sturdy frame.
The bike features a terrific design, it could attract anyone who loves modern design, simplicity or minimalism. This is a single-speed bike with less cables and nothing to ruin the simplified design. The simple design will help maximize convenience as well as reduce costs for maintenance. There is just one cable for the dual-pivot caliper brake on the front. The front-brake could be unassembled and the bike would look as clean as the Speed Uno again. However, probably you will find the front-brake useful because some states require to attach it by law. I tried to use the rear coaster brake by backpedaling but it is really not easy to get familiar. Therefore, to guarantee your safety and durability of your tire and brake, I recommend to keep the front-brake.
The Mu Uno weighs just over 22 lbs, lighter than any adult bike I’ve seen. The difference is actually very significant as most folding bikes weigh around 25-31 pounds. I feel it is very easy to carry around, even you bring it upstairs to your office or onto a bus. If you live in a crowded city and mobility is your concern, this is simply the best choice. I even can fold the bike within 10 seconds like advertised, it is just amazing. The single-gear bike is suitable for modern life as most prefer simple riding in the city everyday. As the frame is made of 7005 butted aluminum alloy, it is durable enough to last for years.
- Beautifully minimal design.
- The matte black finish doesn’t look as gorgeous as glossy painting on other bikes but it is much more enduring and looks futuristic.
- Dual-pivot caliper front brake and brake lever included.
- Super lightweight.
- Easy to carry with small folded size.
- Built-in seat pump is very helpful as I no longer need to bring an extra pump.
- Upgraded grips and front hub.
- Very sturdy and durable frame.
- Mudguard/Fender may not be included, ask seller carefully before buying or you will have to pay an extra $100 for the fenders and rear rack.
- Designed with carrying rather than rolling in mind, it is not easy to roll/drag like advertised.
- The single-speed bike is not suitable for speedy rides or riding on a variety of terrains.